Warning: this stuff is addictive!
One day, Steve brought home some chocolate- and caramel- coated saltines, and I couldn’t stop eating until the the bag was gone!
When I saw recipes for caramel and chocolate pretzel bark, I knew it was going to be the perfect sweet, salty, creamy, crunchy treat. I based my recipe on the Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark from Mama Says What and I added almonds and some subtle spices to give it an extra rich taste.
- 8 oz mini pretzel twists
- 1 1/2 cups roasted salted almonds
- 16 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate chips or 16 oz bar baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (my secret ingredient for a little kick!)
- preheat the oven to 350F
- line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- layer pretzels and almonds on the foil (pictured below, top right)
- in a pot on the stove, melt butter and stir in brown sugar. Bring to boil and keep stirring until smooth and thick.
- Pour caramel over the pretzels and almonds (pictured below, middle left)
- bake in oven for five minutes
- sprinkle cinnamon and cayenne evenly over the mixture
- add chocolate on top and bake for another couple of minutes to melt
- use a spatula to smooth out the chocolate (pictured below, middle right)
- cool for 10 minutes at room temperature and move to the freezer for at least two hours
- break into small chunks
For maximum freshness, store the bark in a container in the freezer. Mine is in the chest freezer in our basement, and I would like to say that I burn enough calories going up and down the stairs to justify this treat, but that’s probably wishful thinking…