Here’s a quick and easy project… And that’s a good thing for me, because after I cut my hair short recently, I realized that I couldn’t brush my teeth without my cute new style falling into my face. I literally ran next door to my craft studio and whipped up this hairband, so I could get ready for bed.
- wide elastic – I used a little under 2′ of 3/4″ wide elastic.
- fabric – just a small strip about 22″x 2.5″
- needle and thread
- optional but handy! Chopstick and a large safety pin
1) Cut your elastic so that it fits comfortably around your head while gently stretched with an inch overlapping
2) Cut your fabric about the same length as your unstretched elastic and 2.5″ wide
3) Fold the fabric lengthwise with right sides together. Fold down a hem on either end and stitch with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
4) Turn the fabric cover right side out. My mom taught me the trick of using a chopstick to help turn narrow things right side out. What do people without chopsticks do??
5) Thread the elastic through the fabric cover. My mom taught me another trick: use a large safety pin (I used a diaper pin) to help pull elastic or cording through a narrow sleeve. It gives you something to grasp on to!
6) sew the ends of the elastic securely together with a one inch overlap.
7) sew the ends of the fabric cover closed by hand.
I’ve got some bigger projects in upcoming posts, like the rest of the baby shower and some new cushions. Look forward to sharing those soon!