Steve likes to say that everything sounds better when spoken in a British accent… My version is that everything tastes better when it came in a pretty package. I love a project that can reuse an old item in a beautiful way – upcycling at its best! For the holidays this year, I decided to make a variety of gifts in a jar to give to our neighbors and the kids’ teachers. I saved glass jars of various shapes and sizes, and I’ll show how to clean and prep them below.
Here are a few ideas for how to make your own gifts in a jar:
- Large jars, like pasta sauce jars, are great for pancake mixes.
- The smallest ones, like jam and salsa jars, can be made into apothecary jars and filled with bath salts.
- Medium-sized jars, like almond butter jars, are perfect for hot chocolate mixes!
- Homemade granola is another delicious idea for a gift.
How to clean jars for reuse:
- start by peeling off as much of the label as possible
- soak the jar in some water and peel off more of the label
- if there’s sticky residue left, spray the jar with Goo Gone or vegetable oil and let it sit before a rubbing off the rest of the label
- run the jars and lids through the dishwasher, using a mesh laundry bag to keep the lids from flying around
- I finished off by spray painting any lids that had printing on them, for a clean look
Some more pictures of our dressed up holiday gifts:
I really love having something handmade for the holidays, and making several of the same gifts made the project more doable. The only real-world caveat I have is that these were very heavy to carry into school. Add our toddler in the baby carrier on my back, and I definitely broke a sweat. It was all worth it, though I might recommend a wagon if you are trying this…
Pingback: Dip-Painted Wooden Kitchen Utensils | Jewels at Home
Pingback: DIY Patterned and Laminated Recipe Cards | Jewels at Home
Pingback: Come Out On Top: Desktop Magnet Boards with Glass Magnets | Jewels at Home
Pingback: It’s in the Bag – Stenciled Totes | Jewels at Home
Pingback: Shibori-Dyed Zipper Pouches | Jewels at Home