I made these pancake mixes in a jar to give as Christmas gifts, but they would be great for birthdays, hostess gifts, or just-because. The hot chocolate mixes I made were very popular, but these pancakes are also a great option and come with a bit less sugar guilt.
I made three variations: banana, banana chocolate chip, and blueberry pancakes. I used pasta sauce jars, which hold about 2 1/2 cups. The baking powder does lose effectiveness over time – they are best used within three months – so it’s best not to make these far ahead.
Layer in a jar
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Optional: 1/3 cup of freeze-dried bananas (not banana chips which are too crunchy), freeze-dried blueberries (not regular dried blueberries which are too hard and chewy), and/or chocolate chips.
It helped to use a clean sheet of cardstock folded into a funnel for getting the ingredients neatly into the jars:
Provide the following instructions with your jar. I printed labels and stuck them to decorative paper and tied it all on with a colorful ribbon.
- Shake the jar to mix contents thoroughly
- Mix contents of jar gently with 2 beaten eggs beaten, 2 cups milk, 4 tablespoons oil
- Cook in a hot greased pan
Here’s proof that a gift can look as good as it tastes!
These worked out so well for our Christmas gifts to teachers and neighbors – how will you use yours?