Are you looking for some DIY gift ideas? I had so much fun making the shibori-dyed zipper pouches for holiday gifts a few years ago that I decided to do this project again this time with larger pouches.
The small size was perfect to use as a mini clutch purse or a case for pencils, toiletries, jewelry, phone chargers and earbuds, etc.! This larger size makes a wonderful clutch or toiletry bag.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Zippered pouches (11 3/4″ x 9 1/2″)
- Rit fabric dye – I used navy, as well as trying black and fuschia. (Traditional shibori is done with indigo dye)
- Ribbon and yarn for pom-pom embellishments
- Depending on the patterns you choose: popsicle sticks, rubber bands, cardboard, string
Here’s how to do it:
- See the detailed instructions back in this post on shibori dyeing. Some tips about colors – the teal was very green, not enough blue. And for the navy, I recommend doubling the concentration to get the very dark color.
- After dyeing, I turned the bags inside out and sewed across the bottom corners to create a flat bottom.
- I embellished the zippers with ribbon and yarn pompoms.
My inspiration was the adorable bags I saw in a store.
And here’s how they turned out:
Julie aka “Jewels”