I love treating myself to real fresh flowers, but sometimes, we all need the low-maintenance burst of color that comes from “silk” flowers. I have a few favorite tips to create arrangements that look almost as good as the real thing!
Here are my favorite tips:
- Shop in person, whenever possible. There’s so much variety in quality, and it really helps to see the flowers in person
- Use a mix of open blooms and buds
- Add filler greenery
- Use clear acrylic resin to simulate water – This helps stabilize your flowers and also makes the arrangement look much more realistic!
- Place your faux flower arrangements next to live plants or fresh cut flowers
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fabric flowers – use the shopping tips above!
- Vase – you can find inexpensive ones at a thrift store or upcycle glass jars from the kitchen
- clear acrylic resin to simulate water
- Wire cutters to trim your floral stems
Here’s how to do it:
- Arrange your flowers, varying heights and adding some filler greens. Mix open blooms with buds, for a more natural look
- Trim the stems using the wire cutters
- Mix the acrylic resin according to the instructions on the package and pour into your vase
- Add the flowers and let the resin set according to the instructions
- Mix your faux arrangements with some real plants for an even more realistic overall impression
Here are some of the floral arrangements I have made, adding some low-maintenance color to our home!
Mix blooms and buds for a natural-looking combination:
Mix live plants with your faux floral arrangements, so the overall impression is more realistic:
Don’t forget the filler greenery, just like a real bouquet!
The simulated “water” really gives a finishing touch to your faux flower arrangements!
I also love that these arrangements are easy to transport to events. (Secret: At potlucks, I am always the person who signs up for plates, cups, napkins and decorations, because I’m not the greatest cook!)
Julie AKA “Jewels”