Here is version two of these DIY clay ring dishes! First, I made some in white with stamped designs. I love how those look, but keeping the white clay as clean as possible is a bit stressful. The marbled dishes, on the other hand, are so addictive and relaxing!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Premo Sculpey in a coordinating colors (approximately 2oz per bowl)
- Rolling pin or smooth glass jar
- Parchment paper or wax paper
- Circle to trace (approximately 4″)
- Bowl or other oven-safe mold
- Optional: sandpaper
- Paint brush
- Gold paint
- Clear glossy varnish
Here’s how to do it:
- Make strips of clay in each color you want to include. Twist and roll them together until you get the amount of mixing you want.
- Using a parchment or wax paper work surface, roll the marbled clay flat – about 1/4″ thick
- Cut out the circle – you can take the cut-off edges and add them to your next marbled bowl, so each one is unique!
- Place your circle on your mold – I tried it on the outside of a bowl, but I think inside would be better, if you have the right size, because the mold indented the surface slightly
- Bake according to the instructions for the clay
- Let it cool, and sand rough edges
- Paint rim with gold paint
- Coat with clear varnish
Here are some progress shots and the final products!
Here is how to start the marbling process:
This is what the bowls looked like out of the oven.
Next step: gold paint on the rim!
Last step: clear gloss varnish!
I’m seriously addicted to making these bowls… can you guess what’s up next?!
Julie aka “Jewels”
I love the marble pattern. So beautiful. The varnish makes a huge difference to help the colours pop. Very nice job.
Thank you! These are so fun to make, because you don’t really know how each one will turn out, but you really can’t go wrong! I agree, the varnish really makes them glow. Can’t wait to try more. Great blog name, BTW 😉
These are awesome.. would you believe I bought the clay and everything to make them a while ago and just haven’t done it..smh . And this makes me want to get off the pot and make them… I sense you’ll be creating your own line of them 😉
I hope you do it! The marbled ones are really forgiving – any combination looks great, so go for it! And yes, I’m addicted…
Pingback: DIY Botanical Print Ring Dishes | Jewels at Home